People are possibly the most
socially complex animals on
earth. The slightest movement
of an eyebrow can have meaning.
Join me as I explain some of the best
tools I have found for improving
one's ability to understand and relate to
other people. In this blog I present tools
from neuroscience, Nonviolent Communication,
Byron Katie, Process Work, and more.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Connecting Frequencies

I joined Christina Pratt's Shamanic Journeying class last night. What a beautiful space her husband designed. He is an acupuncturist, so he made sure to have all kinds of elements represented - wood, metal, stone, water, and fire. Whatever magic he used worked to make the whole place seem to breathe.
Christina was warm and funny. She made the me feel welcome and comfortable.

A musician played crystal bowls. I hadn't heard those bowls before in person. The vibrations go right through the body. They sound ethereal and feel soothing. It's easy to meditate in such an atmosphere.
I also noticed that the sounds helped to create a sense of harmony and lightness in the room of people. Which makes me wonder - what would happen if all meetings started with good harmonics? What if before a meeting started - everyone chanted together, or played drums together, or anything that helped create a sense of connected frequencies?

And isn't empathy a kind of resonance? When I empathize with someone, I am resonating with their experience. I am tuning in to their frequency. I feel as they do, like a tuning fork picking up a tone. Everyone craves empathy. Try it. Next time someone tells you something, do not give any advice or console them, instead empathize with their experience:

"My boss probably thinks I don't know my job."

(It's tempting to console like this - "That's not true!", but instead empathize like this)

"You sound discouraged. Did something happen today to make you feel incompetent?"

(Now the person will turn up their emotional frequency a little louder, because they can feel the attention and care)

"Yes! I totally goofed up a report. And it was my fault, too. I put in the wrong figures."

"Oh that can be so embarrassing when that happens! It sounds like you're worried that she will look down on you after this." (still resonating with the friend's experience)

"I KNOW she will. I feel so stupid."

"Have you lost hope?"

"Maybe, a little, mostly I feel stupid."

"Are you mostly mad at yourself?"

"Yeah, I am. Maybe she isn't that upset, but I'm pissed with myself."

"I am so much harder on myself than anyone else is. That's what it sounds like you have going on.
Self punishment is us!" (See how this person continues to hold her friend's frequency? But now it has shifted by itself. Watch.)

"Oh yeah, That is so true. I am so hard on myself, it's ridiculous. I had me losing this job and you know what, I'm really good at it and my boss knows that, and anyone can make a mistake. Geez. I always think I should be perfect."

"I know how it is. Do you feel better now?"

"Yeah, weirdly enough, I do. Thanks for listening."

The above conversation is based on real situations I've been in. Empathy is resonating with the other person like a harmony. It's very healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment