People are possibly the most
socially complex animals on
earth. The slightest movement
of an eyebrow can have meaning.
Join me as I explain some of the best
tools I have found for improving
one's ability to understand and relate to
other people. In this blog I present tools
from neuroscience, Nonviolent Communication,
Byron Katie, Process Work, and more.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Process Work Institute

Well there's nothing like seeing a theory become a real living thing. Last night, I attended an 'Open Forum on Economics' put on by some students of the Process Work Institute. PWI was founded by Arnold Mindell and teaches his ideas in Psychology and Conflict Resolution. I've read a couple of his books and he really talks my language, except of course when he really gets far out there even for me. And he could be right in his "out-thereness" who knows? At any rate, some of the things I resonate to are his concepts around intuition, and the bleed through, so to speak, of a larger consciousness that he sometimes calls the big U. He also believes strongly in something he calls Deep Democracy. Deep Democracy insists upon hearing all points of view to find the big U of a group.

So last night, I got to see all these beliefs in action and wow! how inspiring. There were four main presenters. Then there were about 10 helpers and the teacher. The presenters presented the topic and then fielded questions and comments. The helpers sought out triggered people and helped them on the spot. One woman kept saying inappropriate things, by her body language I guessed something was not quite right, so several helpers immediately came to her side to listen to her quietly and answer her questions in a way that did not disturb the larger group. Another person started crying and tissues appeared. Later two factions began to argue and the students worked to be sure both sides received fair time to say what they wanted. The facilitators also translated shaming language into empathetic language. Every so often one of the facilitators would sum up what was being said, or go over the major themes we had discussed to give us a bird's eye view of what was happening.

I saw a group of fifty people supported, and it really did feel like support, to communicate at the most vulnerable and deep levels. It was like watching a dance; like a dance of emotions. I was so delighted watching the students work. I just knew group process could look this connected. I can't wait to see more.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I would love to see how this would work in our church. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know more about this. Is there anything like it on the East Coast?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to know more about this. Is there anything like it on the East Coast?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this process would be wonderful for any church, because there is such a feeling of care and support from the facilitators. Even if rough feelings came up, they would be mollified by the obvious concern everyone had.

    I don't know of anything like it on the east coast. I googled Process Work for NYC and Washington DC, but didn't find anything. Even the Nonviolent Communication folks aren't doing anything quite like this. Arnold Mindell is interested in being able to work with large groups, even in the hundreds. I would not have thought it possible until Thursday night. Working with a crowd of triggered people requires highly trained people!

    ReplyDelete