People are possibly the most
socially complex animals on
earth. The slightest movement
of an eyebrow can have meaning.
Join me as I explain some of the best
tools I have found for improving
one's ability to understand and relate to
other people. In this blog I present tools
from neuroscience, Nonviolent Communication,
Byron Katie, Process Work, and more.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

How to make self-judging fun

In response to an email about judging oneself harshly for judging oneself;


The part of you that judges is the part of the brain devoted to making sure you can fit into this culture. 
If you think about it, every judgment you have comes from somebody else. I notice that I have no 
judgments about purple spotted kitterwogs, for example, because I have never heard anyone talk about 
them. If one could imagine our culture as a field of thoughts and beliefs, then judgments could be seen 
as floating around that field. As we grow up we tune into the field and are programmed by repetition. 
Nothing about judgments are personal. When I meditate I watch the judgment thoughts as they float 
through, I can really feel how they are not personal to me. I see myself as merely the receptacle for 
the culture’s field. I can’t help my judgments anymore than I can help what the current fashions are or 
the kind of city I live in


It has all been decided for me.

As I watch me make judgments, I notice that there are two me’s watching. One ‘me’ is a continuance of 
the cultured mind. That me is judgmental of my judgments because in this culture we are fond of making 
people feel guilty for the very things they have been taught. The other ‘me’ is strictly an observer. She has
no judgment. She seems to look on with what I would call compassionate interest. She is actually 
more of a Me than me. When I look through her eyes, I see “my” thoughts as not “my” thoughts. 
I see the judging self as just a wonderful example of this culture, but I also experience myself as 
more than this judging self. I experience myself as this loving watcher as well.

Now I notice that judgments still pass through me. I still judge the driver in front of me, the authority 
figure blocking me, my ability to stay on a diet, and so on. And then I notice that I judge my judging.
 And then I notice that everything I just thought was taught to me by somebody and is not personal to me.
I suspect that you know all of this already, but your description of judgment inspired me to remember 
about the impersonal nature of our thoughts. We think our thoughts are ours, but they are not. 
I think that is very cool. From this perspective, it’s even possible to have fun with thoughts 
and beliefs like judgments. There’s something about seeing this culture stamped inside of me 
that is funny. I have this whole thing about aging right now. It’s so interesting to watch these 
taught beliefs about my attractiveness and vitality seeping away. If I were in another culture, 
I might look forward to aging as a time of great status. Now I fear it for loss of status. 
My mind is just playing out this culture’s meme about aging and 
here’s the kicker - there’s nothing my mind can do about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment