People are possibly the most
socially complex animals on
earth. The slightest movement
of an eyebrow can have meaning.
Join me as I explain some of the best
tools I have found for improving
one's ability to understand and relate to
other people. In this blog I present tools
from neuroscience, Nonviolent Communication,
Byron Katie, Process Work, and more.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Department of Motor Vehicles

I need to get an Oregon license. I have to take the drivers test, written portion. So I picked up 110 pages about how to drive in Oregon. I'm pretty sure that the last time I had to take a written test for driving was when I was sixteen. There are many, many more rules now. Plus my test was in North Carolina, a mostly rural state. So there were no rules about subway lines and trolleys.

Oregon also has very interesting rules about pedestrians. Pedestrians have the right of way on any street corner, with the exception of corners with walk lights. If I am driving and a pedestrian is on the corner, I must stop for them even if there are no cross walk lines. This creates really tricky driving. Add to this challenge, bicycles silently coming up the side as I turn right, and you can see how my normal tension driving is now off the charts. I look like one of those toy clock cats that shifts it's wide eyes from side to side as it ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment