People are possibly the most
socially complex animals on
earth. The slightest movement
of an eyebrow can have meaning.
Join me as I explain some of the best
tools I have found for improving
one's ability to understand and relate to
other people. In this blog I present tools
from neuroscience, Nonviolent Communication,
Byron Katie, Process Work, and more.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Classmate Invades My Space!

I took a class in Interpersonal Neurobiology recently and learned why it’s so hard to get over strong emotions. I’ll use myself as an example. In the class, we were in small group sessions and I was really enjoying my small group of four women. Suddenly a male classmate joined us in the third session. He seemed argumentative and took over our conversation. The other women didn’t seem to mind, but I got really incensed. Actually, I was really surprised by how angry I was feeling. And as the minutes drug by, I couldn’t seem to get over it. My default setting for the limbic system defense mode is flight, so I began to plot how I would abandon the group next time he joined it.

According to my professor I was the innocent victim of my way out-numbered Cognitive nerves. I’ll explain about that tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment