People are possibly the most
socially complex animals on
earth. The slightest movement
of an eyebrow can have meaning.
Join me as I explain some of the best
tools I have found for improving
one's ability to understand and relate to
other people. In this blog I present tools
from neuroscience, Nonviolent Communication,
Byron Katie, Process Work, and more.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hugging For Peace






















Ok, so let’s talk about peace. It’s that time of the year with doves and urgent prayers for armistice. But if you really want to promote peace in this world, touch somebody. As in, actually, physically, touch somebody.

There was a woman on the sidewalk the other day handing out free hugs. I definitely got one of those. As a single person I am not getting nearly enough hugs. Turns out – lack of hugs makes societies violent. I am not kidding. Here are two excellent articles on this subject. www.violence.de/prescott/bulletin/article.html

Touching makes us more resilient, more compassionate, healthier, and happier. One article said that even a pat on the back had a noticeable effect on a student's interest in school or a medical patient's ability to recover. 

Take Home Point: Hugs are the answer. Give as many as you can this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment